Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By markusonfire
#43527 Thanks all!

Updated schematic below - taking into account your feedback.

Can someone perhaps suggest which N-Chan mosfet and diode would fit in this schematic - I believe the door strike solenoid doesn't draw more than 400mA @ 12vDC.

Many thanks!

By lethe
markusonfire wrote:I've found the FQP30N06L/RFP30N06LE http://littlebirdelectronics.com.au/products/n-channel-mosfet-60v-30a N-Channel Mosfet which should do the job with the above schematic. also I've picked up some 1A 12v diodes for the flyback.

The mosfet should work, but looking at fig.9 in the datasheet, you should add a heatsink. I guess the mosfet is not switched on for any extended period of time, so it would not need to be large (but don't forget tovapply thermal paste).

As for the diodes: I wouldn't use 12V diodes in a 12V circuit. All components should have a rating well above the supply voltage. Also schottky diodes are preferrable as flyback diodes.
By markusonfire
#43588 Great advice - thanks!

The mosfet should not be activated for more than 5sec at a time, but I'll make sure I use a small heatsink.

I also just ordered some 1A 20v diodes For the flyback.

Does the schematic itself need any other changes? Is there any other safety/stability measures I should add?