The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By Dan Kiefer
#74579 Hi

I successfully send temperature/humidity data from the ESP to Thingspeak. That is through my home WLAN network.

When I tried to show this to my colleagues at work, it didn't work there. Of course I did change the network name and password. The ESP connects to the WLAN, is correctly attributed an IP address and is able to ping an address on the internet. Therefore I guess the connection is fine. However, no data is received at the Thingspeak channel.

I also created a second Thingspeak channel with the same results. It works at home, but not at work.

Any idea what could be going wrong? Is there anything special that has to be cared for on the router? Can the router 'see' that this is not a human user?

Thanks and best regards

Dan
By penatenjoe
#74604 Obviously there are many things that could have caused this. My first steps in such a situation would be:

Use a PC to open the ThingSpeak channel inside a browser. Open another tab and past your ThingSpeak query into the browser adress bar. If you want to retrieve data you will see the response as a text. If you post data you will see the data in your channel being updated.

If that works the problem is likely between the ESP and your office network. If it doesn't you probably need to ask the admin of your network for help.
By Dan Kiefer
#74608 Thanks for your help.

I was able to send data to Thingspeak through the browser. So it must definitely be an issue with the WLAN at my office.

Dan
By schufti
#74613 look at your browsers network settings, most likely there is a proxy defined.
Depending on the type of proxy it is still possible to send data to thingspeak through the proxy.