By krzychb
#49367 According to my experience, if you have the h/w set up right, esp8266 works very stable.

All depends on the application.

I am currently testing stability of the same application using different NeoPixel libraries.

Depending on the library esp8266 is either working stable for weeks or self-resets on random basis. In this particular case the issue is with NeoPixel’s library handling of interrupts that, if disabled for too long, cause watchdog resets.
By jankop
#49369 Currently I have no any problems with stability.
I use normal breadboard power adapter (IC AMS1117) and charger for old Nokia mobile (DC>5V).
Equipment me work weeks, demonstrably without resetting or failure.
martineayotte is right in saying that it is necessary to treat an inputs. It is a vital thing, but a lot of people that neglect.
By StefanB
#50007 Breadboards are somewhat problematic. I have measured between 1 and 5 Ohms between my BB power supply and the ESP supply pins, varying each time I replug the ESP adapter or any wires.

As the ESP8266 easily sinks 250mA, this amounts to a voltage drop of up to (5 + 5) Ohm * 250mA = 250mV, i.e. the ESP only has 3V available.
By mrburnette
zetalif wrote:Hi Adamsdad,

I'm agree with you. During the last 1,5 year I've worked a lot with this device (5 esp-01 and two esp7). In my opinion this device has not still reached the right maturity. It's very hard to find the right hardware configuration for sketch download and firmware upgrade. Also from the stability point of view there are still big problems. Ok the price is very low so you can accept all these issues. May be in the next future will be avaible more friendly and stable device. ;)

Just is not my experience over the past 18 months. For development, I'm using the NodeMCU under Arduino 1.6.9 and then I move the code to a 12-E for the project. I've also used the older -08 and -01 but sticking with the 12E is easy and inexpensive. I have an 08 that has been running 7x24 since September 2015 up in my attic with a GPS - the unit is an AP and transmits a NMEA string of characters over UDP every second. It has only gone 'down' once during a severe thunder storm and reset required me to unplug the HP 5 Volt power brick. I'm using a 3.3V buck DC-DC module to actually drive the ESP8266.

Stable in summer and in winter and the attic is not temperature controlled ... so the temperature swings are large here in Atlanta. IMO, the stability far exceeds my expectation...

Ray