Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By esp03madness
#8496 Hi guys, I wrote a small blog post about my experience with setting up an ESP-03, and the pitfalls that I came across. I am now rocking the latest* AT firmware built from source. Here is the full writeup.

*latest for which source is available
By carlhesp
#8592 Thanks useful info there like pulling GPIO15 to ground, have you been able to figure out why is this required? Can you still use this pin after its started?

I recieved 3 ESP-03's on friday and have already managed to kill one haha. I was adding a bridge onto those 2 little solder points near VCC to allow deep sleep to work. I managed to solder on a small piece of capacitor leg as a bridge after doing this my power regulator got really hot and I dont see anything come through the serial console anymore. I desoldered it still no go. Ive pulled out my jewelers magnifine glass and inspected for shorts but there is none. no idea why theres a short there somewhere now. I did the same to a second ESP-03 and worked successfully.
By MeNoGeek
carlhesp wrote:pulling GPIO15 to ground [...] why is this required?
GPIO15 is also MTDO:
https://github.com/esp8266/esp8266-wiki ... boot-modes
Can you still use this pin after its started?
Well, otherwise, the term GPIO would be kinda usurped.
I recieved 3 ESP-03's on friday and have already managed to kill one haha.
hehe, the other day I decided to replace the male headers on one of my 'test plates' by female ones. I have a thing for females, it's a long story. Well, long story short, one of the LEDs on the board got stubborn and won't turn off now, no matter what. Chinese quarity, fliend, what can I say? Those things won't stand a mere 650C for like 15 minutes. Since I have other ones, I didn't bother trying to fix it, but some day, I'll find out how much more damage I can do in the process.