A place to put your YouTube video that is ESP8266 related.

By shoelessone
#37572 Hey all, just finished my xmas project I've been working on. I really appreciate this forum and all of the people that have helped with this. Here is a quick video showing the "Mitchine" project and explaining how it all works.

Also, I put together a small instructional book to give everybody in the family (mainly so they could figure out how to connect to the esp8266 and configure the wifi), and the last page I have a little "thank you" section. You'll notice esp8266.com is listed there, and although nobody in the world will really see it, I also specifically mentioned Martin (note I reprinted this with a capital M!) as he helped me out SOO much with this project.

Anyway, thank you all!
By Oripy
#38581 Dear shoelessone,

This project is very cool and it is very thoughtful! Your family must love it!

I have a similar project that I intend to offer to my girlfriend as a valentine gift (so in one month!). Two heart shaped "buttons" that will be connected in the same way as your Mitchine boxes. As soon as you press one the other will lit up, so you know the other person thought about you.

It will be my first project with an arduino-like microcontroller and with ESP8266 obviously.
I started testing things and I have currently a working prototype that can send some number to thingspeak and retrieve the last entry, so I'm nearly there. But my code is messy and for now the Wifi password and SSID is hardcoded.

As I'm not a web developer I have a hard time understanding how you get and send information from one box to the others. Could you explain this part for me?
As I said I currently use thingspeak, but the limitations of the API is not good for "instant" communication.

I will definitely look into your code more closely and try to adapt it to my needs. For instance I really like the AccessPoint configuration option that you designed.

Thank you for sharing this project!
By Oripy
#42157 Hello!

Sorry for my slow reply.

Yes, I successfully done my project in time and it worked flawlessly! My girlfriend is happy (although she found it a bit geeky) and we send animated led hearts animations to each other every night that we are in our respective houses. (I have put 8 leds in the shape of a heart and you can select one of the 8 preprogrammed animation sequences to send to the other heart).

I had a lot of fun and learned a lot during the making of this.

Your project was a great help because it made me discover MQTT, which was perfect for my application.

Thank you very much!