Example sketches for the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By ian
#23920 Hi willfly
Having helper.h certainly helps it compile :)
Sadly you seem to have limited the router password to 20 characters (in a few places). My password is 26 characters :(
Don't worry about it - I'm not that interested in the weather ;)
However, there are some very nice bits of code in your project which ARE interesting! Well done :)
Cheers
Ian
By schufti
#25951 Hi,
just for information:
at the moment the compilation seems to be broken in stable and staging due to ESP8266WiFi.h

@danbicks: the lib is compatible with i2c (tested on orig aeduino) but on esp8266 it repeatedly crashes (reboots) after the 2 logos during the first linedrawing demo.
By willfly
schufti wrote:Hi,
just for information:
at the moment the compilation seems to be broken in stable and staging due to ESP8266WiFi.h

@danbicks: the lib is compatible with i2c (tested on orig aeduino) but on esp8266 it repeatedly crashes (reboots) after the 2 logos during the first linedrawing demo.

Fixed compilation issues. Wifi and Server libraries have to be included before other ones. The display library works fine with I2C based display, but since I2C communication in ESP8266 is implemented in software, it is quite slow and causes watchdog reset in sample sketch. Just add yield instructions and it should be ok.
By schufti
#26240 Hi willfly,
thanks for your effort and feedback.

I was just discovering the issue with order of includes during the weekend and some other nasty sideeffects (or features) of the esp8266 implementation. I eventually came to the same conclusion about the problem with i2c graphics demo when I "tamed" the communication and made it more "cooperative". Still struggling to have ssd1603 and AM2321 on the same bus.

And yes, I realized the speed difference between hw spi and sw i2c, but for display of temp/hum and some stats it is fast enough. And ... one can put the old esp8266-1 from the begin of the aera to good use. But even hw i2c on max speed (orig arduino) is way slower than hw spi. It is like seeing the single lines beeing drawn vs. the graphics appearing instantaneous.

another one: maybe you have recognized the repeated stop of the snowflakes in the graphics demo. This is due to the esp fw trying to connect WiFi in the background allthough the sketch never activated WiFi. So one has to deliberately switch off WiFi in any sketch to get full response of the µC.