Chat freely about anything...

By Squonk
jonsmirl wrote:Yes, they have to have a power regulator on the module to pass the certification. None of the ones I have seen have it.
https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/comments/GetPu ... &tn=830118
power regulators cost a nickel (but you might not want to use one that cheap).
Limited single-modular transmitter

Unless it is a "Limited single-modular transmitter".
By tinhead
#1810 well, ESP8266 does have internal power regulator and pmu. The rule "The module must contain power supply regulation on the module" does not specify anything about where the power regulation need to be done. On can of course use these modules and use power regulation from host, so then the fcc apply to host and module together (where of course the module will be approved only for that host). But honestly, when one have "few bucks" to pass fcc, i don't see a problem to produce then own pcb, with better (of stock what so ever) shielding, etc. As well don't forget that these modules does NOT have 10ppm crystal, but they need one (my module was with 50ppm after 15min warmup, so no go).
By jonsmirl
#1813 I know of modules that have gotten approved without the shield. They were able to demonstrate that the radio was so low powered than the chip casing was enough of a shield. ESP8266 might be like that, but you need to take it to an FCC lab to find out. Same argument may work for power regulation. Someone just needs to care enough to take one over to a lab and spend a few bucks for a preliminary evaluation. Until then these modules are just toys and you can't ship them inside of anything.