Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By crw4096
#44104 Hello Eric,

Merci beaucoup for the great tutorial. I am now waiting for my little Pi to do the hard work of building the toolchain.

My interest with the Pi and ESP8266 started because I thought that I could connect the serial port from the Pi header directly to the ESP8266 board I am using. Is this your intention or is there some other way you are connecting the Pi?

I am hoping to not be the first person to think of this idea :o. I would much rather do a direct connection than go through a USB cable to a level shifter to the serial port pins.

Thanks,

Charles (completely new to the ESP8266)
By crw4096
#44113 Hi,

Regarding the instructions for building the toolchain for Raspberry Pi, it seems that, after all the compiling, there is no "packages" folder *anywhere* under the place where I did the "make STANDALONE=y". So what next? :?

Thanks,

Charles
By eric6286
#44255 Hi Charles !

I realize that I forget to write that after the git clone of "esp-open-sdk" repository, we have to enter 'cd esp-tool-sdk' command before the 'make STANDALONE=y'. Say that is probably stupid, but in the doubt ... ;)

Well, after the end of build process of esp-open-sdk, you should find an 'xtensa-lx106-elf' in the 'esp-open-sdk' directory, the one where you launched make process. On my system it's '/home/pi/open-sdk/xtensa-lx106-elf'.

When you first launch arduino IDE, and install ESP8266 boards support (json url in prefs etc.), an '.arduino15' directory is automaticaly created by arduino IDE in your home directory (obviously, it may be '/home/pi/.arduino15').

The more simple for the following is, in the file explorer of Raspbian, to enable "display hidden files" (aka CTRL+H). So you'll can see the ".arduino15" directory in the graphical file explorer.

Now you have just to delete the content of '/home/pi/.arduino15/packages/tools/xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc/1.20.0-26-gb404fb9-2/'.

After that copy the content of '/home/pi/open-sdk/xtensa-lx106-elf' (These are 'bin', 'include', 'lib', 'libexec', 'share' and 'xtensa-lx106-elf', but built for ARM) in '/home/pi/.arduino15/packages/tools/xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc/1.20.0-26-gb404fb9-2/'.

Hope that it could help you.

For me, I choosed the lazy way, and I'm using nodeMCU platform, so I'm connected to the NodeMCU with USB port via "/dev/ttyUSB0" RPi port.

I don't know if it is possible to use another way. Probably needs some electronic adds.

I've an "Arduberry" card, a flavor of arduino Uno, directly pluggable on the 40 pin connector of the PI. But Dexter Industries (the maker of the card) slight modify arduino IDE installation for adding a dedicated programmer in the programmer tools list of the IDE.

In all case, I think we would have a serial link between RPi and ESP8266 module.

Regards

PS : I'm alway stucked with the upload problem I wrote about in my past posts. I've to manually upload compiled sketches. If someone has an idea ... :)