Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Burak Günay
#10605 Hello everyone ,
I have a weird problem ... Normally my ESP01 works like a charm , I can communicate with it , send AT commands , get responses back .... but somehow and sometimes , when I power it up , its red led and the blue led flashes then the both of the leds turn off ... Sometimes I just get a very very small amount of bright red light from the red led and it gets too hot ... This happens when I try to control it via a PC or an MCU , it doesn't matter to what it connected ...

Here is how I made my connections of the ESP8266-01

CH_PD ----> VCC
GPIO1 and GPIO2 ----> VCC
RESET ----> VCC

and the RX is connected to TX of a controller
TX is connected to RX of a controller ...

This is really annoying ... I'm trying to build something very efficient and stable ... Not something that crushes unexpectedly ...

Thanks in advance for your answers ...
By GengusKahn
#10614 Vcc? where from? If this is from the USB Serial Bridge is it 3v, can it supply enough current? These need a stable 100-300mA at 3v, best to use 3V low dropout regulator powered from the USB 5v........also no need to put extra current into the ESP leave GPIO_0 AND GPIO_2 floating.......
By Burak Günay
#10623 Well , I power the circuit up from a standalone power supply made of LM317T and common grounded with a USB Serial Bridge ...

If "floating" means non connected , I rebuilded the circuit on board and left , GPIO.0 GPIO2 non connected and tied CH_PD to VCC and the RESET is non connected too ... The result is still unsuccessful ....

Where do I go wrong , why my ESP has its way .... ?