Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Burak Günay
GengusKahn wrote:Are you using the Reset or GPIO pin ? if not leave unconnected, any path will only eat current, the ESP has internal paths (Pull up / down) if left unconnected no extra current consumed, you would only need to tie them through a resistor if they were in a particularly noisy electrical environment(brushes on a motor). To Flash just power up with a cable directly between gpio and gnd flash, power down remove power up......

Is it any more stable through diodes(cooler)?

I use them both (in case of uploading a newfirmware or to give it a hard reset in case it crushes ..) I have published a web server powered by ESP8266 that runs on a PIC16F628A
Microcontroller ... What gives me trouble is the connection with the RESET pin ... I have made a circuit using an NPN transistor with a couple of passive components it works ok for now .. I can not leave unconnected the reset pin , it has to be connected to an output pin of the MCU for a reset operation ...
Last edited by Burak Günay on Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Burak Günay
#10869 By the way I updated my ESP01's firmware to AT-0942 ... This firmware has solved the heating up issue ... Now my ESP01 works @ 30 C instead of 43 C ....

For those that have such issues or may have , you will find the bin file attached to the post .. You need to upload the file to the address = 0x00000 and no other exceptional bin files are required since this is a sort of bundle file made of boot , default , user and blank files ... It's all in one ...

Thank you GenghusKahn for your effort to help me settle up the problem .. yet I am still curious about your "diode idea" ..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By GengusKahn
#10915 You can expect a drop of up to 700mV across any diode junction, some of the components I am using are from the 70's and 80's so they have degraded slightly, therefore these "consume" the voltage WITHOUT generating heat, when you allow the voltage to be "dropped" by large amounts through a typical voltage regulator the greater the difference between Vin and Vout, the greater the thermal increase.

If you look at the transistors the date code is 8844 Week 44 of 1988 (and week 36) diodes probably early 90's.......