Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Sjaak
#1614 @Claude I cant do it without a via (2 layer board) and also a 15 mil track is impossible to connect to the QFN :D

Though I'll be using multiple (parallel) vias in the VCC track.
By Sjaak
#2014 Here are the preliminary results of the routing.

The PCB is based on a SOB PCB design by dangerousprototypes ( http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Sick_of_Beige ) only it is 1200x1200 mil (almost 3x3cm). Thickness will be 0.8mm. I'm still not totally happy with the layout as it is too crowded in one corner, but prolly ok for a first go.

Comments are welcome and prolly give some of the remaining boards away (if usable that is :D)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By faceplant
#2041 Not a bad design, but the feed line looks like it's much longer than it needs to be. I would place the esp8266 and antenna first (close together) and then route the other stuff around it to keep the feed line short.

Also, it looks like you have ground plane on the bottom of the board under the antenna. I'm not an antenna expert, but I thought the board was supposed to be free from anything above and below.
By Sjaak
faceplant wrote:Not a bad design, but the feed line looks like it's much longer than it needs to be. I would place the esp8266 and antenna first (close together) and then route the other stuff around it to keep the feed line short.

I wanted to keep the ground near the feedline on both sides, and this seems to be a way :)

faceplant wrote:Also, it looks like you have ground plane on the bottom of the board under the antenna. I'm not an antenna expert, but I thought the board was supposed to be free from anything above and below.

missed that one! it was already getting midnight and my eyes were almost shut.

Thanks for reviewing ;)