Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By wififofum
#24848 You can find it on aliexpress and taobao. It is interesting for the eeprom and battery powered potential. Lots of people are more comfortable with the at command interface. Ideally you'd be able to load custom esp8266 firmware ota and also reflash the stm8 over the network.
By Drum
#25064 There is a small blurb on Ai-Thinker which says OTA is active, but I was not able to find any detailed information. Hopefully someone will be able to test this. Also from what I can find, both the ESP-WROOM-02 (from Espressif at least) and the OLIMEX MOD-WIFI-ESP8266 should have OTA available based on the memory. (If the OLIMEX is using the EX chip, I don't know about the non EX chip) They both have 2MB SPI, rather than the 2Mb most come with. But I have not seen any tests. I should be receiving 2 MOD-WIFI-ESP8266-DEV soon and will try to test this.

2.6.2. External SPI Flash
An external SPI flash is used together with ESP8266EX to store user programs. Theoretically
speaking, up to 16 Mbyte memory capacity can be supported.
Suggested SPI Flash memory capacity:
• OTA is disabled: the minimum flash memory that can be supported is 512 kByte;
• OTA is enabled: the minimum flash memory that can be supported is 1 Mbyte.
Several SPI modes can be supported, including Standard SPI, Dual SPI, DIO SPI, QIO SPI, and Quad
SPI.
By tytower
#25122 Can you be consistent in that post and edit it with what is MegaBytes and what is MegaBits? Please
Its hard to follow what you are saying if you do not and one is 8 times greater than the other.

Also if you use acronyms please expand them on first use . I don't know what you are talking about .
In that post I would have added a PS with OTA and the others expanded at the bottom perhaps

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=OTA+&ia=meanings
OTA - What does OTA stand for? The Free Dictionary

Acronym Definition; OTA: Office of Technology Assessment: OTA: Occupational Therapy Assistant: OTA: Over-The-Air: OTA: Optical Tube Assembly (telescopes) OTA: Office ...
[Search domain acronyms.thefreedictionary.com] acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/OTA

I found it eventually Over The Air ...right?
By Drum
by tytower » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:41 pm
Can you be consistent in that post and edit it with what is MegaBytes and what is MegaBits? Please
Its hard to follow what you are saying if you do not and one is 8 times greater than the other.

Also if you use acronyms please expand them on first use . I don't know what you are talking about .
In that post I would have added a PS with OTA and the others expanded at the bottom perhaps

I think I was pretty consistent in using MB for Mega Bytes and Mb for Mega bits which I believe is the standard convention for memory.

As for OTA, I expected it to be taken in the context of a wireless firmware based device, which the ESP8266 is.

I agree acronyms should be defined on first use and i apologize. It annoys me when people do not define acronyms in formal documents. As for section 2.6.2 which I copied from an Ai-thinker document as indicated in my post, I will not apologize for their writing, nor is it my place to correct it. I am sure I must have missed the definitions section in the document, when I have time, I will be sure to look for it.

Perhaps before you complain so vigorously about someone not defining acronyms, you should be sure you are not guilty of the same fault.

Everyone else, I apologize for the off topic post, I will post no further on this.