Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Suxsem
lorneb wrote:I have loaded version 20150108 nodeMCU firmware onto a version1 board and I have the exact same problem. I've not yet tried the the reset method, but will try and post back. Also have other modules with stock AT firmware so I'll try them as well. That may help rule out electrical issues.

Great! Please keep us updated!

yes8s wrote:Yes, also happening with nodeMCU build.

See page 2 of my thread for a discription of the cause. It may quite well be related:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1287

I tried with 20141222 build of nodemcu...i get the same behaviour...
Can you test a new build of nodemcu and check if the problem returns?
By carlhesp
#7900 I just pulled out a brand new ESP-01 (at firmware Version:0.9.2.4) cracked the seal on the anti static bag plugged it in, power cycled it 6 times and each time it booted perfectly. I then loaded on the nodemcu firmware nodemcu_20150108.bin power cycled, first time went ok 2nd time resulted in a unsuccessful boot. Seems to me its the nodemcu firmware.

I have a few esp-03's arriving in the mail hopefully any day now first thing I will do is see if I can replicate this problem on those as well.
By Mehrius
#7909 Sorry it took so long but here is what I found:

The board boots up every time with 20141222 but I suspect it resets itself during use. I left it running for the last days loaded with some web server example from this forum(the one with the led pwm but with no led connected - just for testing because the webpage is supposed to remember the last led power level) and while I could access it every time sometimes it just displayed 0% even if i always left it at a random value just to test this.

I also run into another problem that was not here before. When i ping the esp i get a DUP!(duplicate response) message back.
I tried ping it with the web server unloaded and get the same.

I then flashed the latest 20150108 nodeMCU and the boot problems are back and I still get the DUP! stuff.

My conclusion is that:

1) Either I did something to the board (I did get pretty hot on some occasions) and it's now unreliable.
2) I'm doing something wrong when I flash it.

To eliminate the latter here's my flash process:

I flash it using the esptool.py from github using the

./esptool --port /dev/tty.usbserial write_flash 0x000000 nodemcu_20150108.bin

command on an OSX machine.

For now my plan is to find another way to flash it and try to rule this flashing gone bad theory out.

How are you flashing your boards?
Did it ever fail to flash? (mine did quite a few times and I had to retry and eventually it would work)